Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_REFERER in /opt/bitnami/apps/NEKLS16/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/xcalendar/wp-cache.class.php(2644) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 191
The Code of Conduct is designed to facilitate the mission of the library and to ensure an environment conducive to the full exploration of library materials and services. It applies to all areas of the library including stack areas, meeting room, hallways, stairways, washrooms and the exterior stairways, walkways and parking area.
Be considerate of others:
- Use a quiet voice.
- Use headphones on the computer or your cell phone.
- Use cell phones in a way that does not disturb others. Users should maintain common courtesy with the use of cell phones. Library staff reserves the right to ask patrons to move their cell phone conversations outside.
- Activities should not interfere with another person’s use of the library or with the library staff’s ability to perform their duties.
- Refrain from foul, rude, obscene language or gestures or any behavior that harasses or demeans others.
- Do not run, jump or fight.
- Be fully clothed including shoes and shirts (bathing suits are not considered suitable clothing).
- Keep aisles and walkways clear; do not leave personal belongings unattended.
- Refrain from soliciting or selling to library staff or patrons.
- Animals permitted only when Kansas and Federal law definitions of a service animal are met.
- Children under the age of nine years should be accompanied by a care provider at all times [see Young Patrons Policy]; accompanied is defined as “within sight.” If a child is left unattended in the library, the staff will follow procedures which may involve calling local law enforcement for assistance.
- An acceptable standard of personal hygiene is expected so as not to constitute a nuisance to others.
- Lying down, sleeping, or appearing to sleep inside the library or on library grounds, unless invited to do so in a library sponsored program, is not allowed.
Be considerate of library property:
- Food and drink are not permitted.
- Controlled substances are not permitted on library property.
- Alcoholic beverages are only allowed on library premises as part of a library sponsored event that has been pre-approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Trashcans should be used for litter.
- Smoking and the use of tobacco products is not permitted in the library or within 10 feet of any library entrance, as per Kansas state statutes.
- Damaging, defacing, or misusing library materials, equipment or facilities is not permitted.
- A library phone is available for local calls limited to 5 minutes; ask library staff for assistance.
- Leave skates, skateboards, in-line skates, and any sporting equipment (bats, rackets, balls, etc.) outside the library or with library staff.
- Bicycle racks are provided in front of the library; scooters, tricycles, bicycles and wagons should remain outside.
Library privileges may be denied for the following reasons:
- Damaging library property
- Stealing library materials
- Threatening or physically harming staff or patrons
- Not complying with library policies
It is a patron’s responsibility to maintain necessary and proper standards of behavior in order to protect his/her individual rights and the rights and privileges of other patrons. If a patron creates a public nuisance, that patron may be restricted from the library and from use of the library facilities. Patrons who fail to follow library procedures will be reprimanded as follows:
- For the first and second violation, a verbal warning will be given. If the patron refuses to comply after a second warning, he/she will be asked to leave the library. If the patron does not leave when asked by the library staff, law enforcement officers may be contacted.
- Further incidents of violating library procedures will cause library usage to be revoked for at least one week.
- Additional violations will cause library usage to be revoked for at least one month.
For children under the age of 18, parents or legal guardians will be contacted if their children have been reprimanded for failure to comply with library policies. Those who are unwilling to leave or do not leave within a reasonable amount of time, after being instructed to do so by the staff, will be subject to the law.