Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_REFERER in /opt/bitnami/apps/NEKLS16/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/xcalendar/wp-cache.class.php(2644) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 191
Welcome to Summer 2021!
The Morrill Public Library staff came together last year to put on the best virtual program possible under the restricted circumstances of both the global pandemic and the library’s building renovation.
For summer 2021, staff members came together again to plan a summer with both virtual and in-person events. The theme for 2021 is Tails & Tales!
Our kickoff event is extended for this year and is a whole week! To help with social distancing, anyone with or without a Morrill Public Library card can sign up for the Summer Library Program in the following ways:
- Skip the lines and preregister for the reading challenge on Beanstack! Go to hiawathalibrary.beanstack.org to sign in & register.
- Patrons can stop in the library any time we’re open between May 20 and May 27 to sign up for our Summer Library Program.
- There will be dedicated computers available to sign up on Beanstack or paper registration forms for those who will not be using the online reading tracker.
Hiawatha Community Foundation Match Days – May 29 & 30
The Friends of the Morrill Public Library now have an established fund with the Hiawatha Community Foundation. Find out more about this important group and how your donation on May 29 or 30 can make a big impact for our beloved library: givebacktomoveforward.org
Types of Events for Summer 2021
- Kickoff Week
- Monday morning Toddler Storytimes
- Wednesday Morning Book Club
- Teen and Adult Trivia Events
- Chair Yoga with Carrie Potter
- Monday Evening Book Club
- Thursday Preschool Storytimes
- Family Movie Fridays
- Quilters Club
- Knitting Club
- Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, and Tourism
- Ruby Slipper Goat Rescue
- Miss D’s Honey Bees
- End-of-Summer Party at the Library
Calendar of Events
As patrons might remember from last year, the library provided the digital reading tracker ReaderZone to add to our virtual summer services. After listening to patron feedback, we decided to try out a different platform for 2021: Beanstack.
Beanstack has a smooth and easy-to-use navigation and can be accessed either through their mobile app or online via a desktop computer.
Anyone can sign up as the account creator and then add readers to the account, allowing flexibility for families with multiple people who want to participate in the reading challenge. Parents can use the app just for their kids, too, if they themselves do not want their own reader profile. Readers who use the mobile app can pick how they want to log their reading: minutes, pages, number of books, or simply which days they read! There is even a reading timer to help patrons track how long they read. The desktop version will allow patrons to only log by days.
Beanstack and the 2021 Summer Library Program
For the Summer Reading Challenge, patrons can earn 10 reading badges and an additional 6 activity badges. Activity badges have just for fun challenges to try like book bingo, nature walks, or checking out our digital collections! If two or more activities are completed in each of those badges, readers will get even more automatic chances to win a grand prize.
Patrons over the age of 13 can find other patrons on the app with unique friend codes and see a leaderboard for books or minutes read.
Library staff members will be able to help anyone add to their reading log while visiting the library, as well!
We understand if some patrons would rather only use paper reading logs, so anything and everything found on Beanstack will also be available as a physical copy, too! Please understand, however, if you choose to use paper logs, you will not be able to use Beanstack for the remainder of the summer.
To get started with your own Morrill Public Library Beanstack account, follow these steps:
- Go to the library’s Beanstack site (hiawathalibrary.beanstack.org)
- Choose “Register an Individual or Family.”
- Fill in the form.
- Register for the 2021 Summer Reading Challenge.
- Come back and log your reading to earn badges that get you more chances to win our grand prize!
Grand Prizes for Age Groups
Early Literacy 0-5 year olds: Kids tent and explorer set
Elementary 6-11 year olds: Kids instant print camera
Youth 12-17 year olds: Kindle Fire 7 (16 GB, black)
Adult 18 year olds and up: Kindle Fire 7 (16 GB, black)