Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_REFERER in /opt/bitnami/apps/NEKLS16/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/xcalendar/wp-cache.class.php(2644) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 191
Part-Time Library Assistant
This is a part-time customer service position. Library assistants offer support services to patrons and complete routine clerical duties.
Work involves responding to patron requests and clerical functions using library circulation software. Duties include checking books in and out, shelving library materials, data inputting, and customer service over the phone and in person. This position requires direct communication with patrons and all staff are expected to be welcoming to anyone using the library’s services.
This position receives immediate supervision of the Library Director.
Examples of Duties
- Assists with patron questions by providing accurate and timely information.
- Quickly and efficiently searches online databases.
- Checks in and out library materials using library circulation software.
- Collects fines using the circulation software and cash register.
- Handles patron meeting room reservation requests.
- Processes new applications for library cards.
- Processes interlibrary loan requests and overdue materials.
- Operates a variety of standard office and library equipment.
- Promotes all library services and programs.
- Attends monthly staff meetings and continuing education programs as appropriate.
- Keeps shelves in order by re-shelving library materials and consistently straightening items and/or keep them in alphabetical or numerical order.
- Performs related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of library operations.
- General computer skills and an eagerness to learn relevant technology skills.
- Good knowledge of effective online searching.
- Experience handling cash and using a cash register for routine transactions.
- Good knowledge of the English language.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Good ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, associates, and the general public.
High school diploma or the equivalent and some experience in using libraries. Must have the ability to use computers and operate general office equipment. Must be willing to learn relevant library software and digital library lending applications.
Employees are regularly required to walk, stand, sit, type, reach overhead, push/pull carts, and carry or lift 10 pounds. Employees are occasionally required to stoop, kneel, and lift up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
This position requires the following shifts:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 11 am – 3 pm
Tuesday: 11 am – 2 pm
Statement on Equal Employment
The library maintains a policy of nondiscrimination with employees and applicants for employment. No aspect of employment with the library will be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Morrill Public Library accepts applications for employment year-round. We will retain them for 60 days and use as positions become available. Electronic submissions are preferred.